Before Michael and Maewyn’s house was full ready, the boys visited his place and somehow through the discussions realised that they should have a shoe bench outside their place to make the wearing and removing of shoes much more easier rather than trying to balance on one feet wearing socks or putting on the strappy heels.
So Alvin and Beebops agreed that they will make a bench for their housewarming. And I decided to chip in the hard work of building the simple bench.
Correct me if I am wrong that now the girls and boys in secondary school attend both Home Econs and Technical lessons, which would provide some background and hands on experience on both cooking & nutrition and design & carpentry. I only had exposure to Home Economics classes and therefore left the sawing, sanding, hammering and drilling to the guys. I made myself useful by offering to paint the bench and offering whatever engineering knowledge I had left.
Alvin insisted that I should not show any pictures of his face online.
Knowing that Micheal and Maewyn were supporters of different football clubs, Liverpool and Everton, the design of the bench circled around this idea. The first coat of paint left much to be desired as the paint was not able to cover the woodgrains properly causing the paint to look patchy and the paint pretty much got absorbed into the wood. Not only that, the blue colour that Beebops bought bears zero resemblance to Everton’s colour.
Realised there and then that we were missing the base coat to cover the grains and smoothen the surface so that the paint colours will show. Same logic as how having an eyeshadow base will bring out the true colours of eye shadow and makes it last longer!
So we had to wrap up that evening since we needed to purchase the base coat and another hue of blue.
We returned on another day to paint the base coat and the colours. We left and went back another day to stick all the Liverpool/Everton images and finishing it off with two layers of top coat.
A bench, which looked extremely simple with a plank and four support legs, took us four nights to complete. Not taking into account the things that Alvin out of convenience since it was lying around in his porch.
It was an achievement to have completed this bench just in time for their housewarming!
And we were glad they liked it and find that they will find it useful!
My outfit when I went for their housewarming.
Close up of the details of the dress.